The rights and obligations assertion applies to
1. Culture is
2. According to Triandis, cultural distance is greater when people
live far apart.
speak different languages.
speak many languages.
3. An example of a nonverbal behavior associated with culture is
greeting others with a handshake
gestures, such as “the A-ok” sign
all of the above.
4. Tight cultures have:
fewer conceptions of “correct” behavior
b and c are correct
5. Which of the following is not one of the similarities between Eastern and Western religious traditions?
possess or revere sacred writings
include rituals and approved practices
are monotheistic, asserting there is only one God
provide answers to questions such as life, death, and suffering
6. A sense of historical continuity and a larger existence in the collectivity of the group is an element of:
none of the above
7. Acculturation refers to:
the acquisition of new cultural practices in wide ranging areas including the learning of a new language
the unlearning of at least some of the old cultural elements
the reinforcement of existing cultural values
the elimination of existing cultural values
8. Which of the following ethnic groups is most likely to be asked, “you’re not full blooded, are you?”
Native American Indian
9. All languages:
define, articulate, and reveal shared realities
define the speakers realities
define, articulate and reveal individual realities
reveal the preconceived notions of the speaker
10. According to the interviews, normative social identities in respective home cultures:
were a major source of conflict for international couples
provided a sense of relief to spouses
enabled spouses to explore new identities
all of the above
refers to the integration of U.S. and Chinese economies
depicts Chinese influence and control over U.S. policy both foreign and domestic
depicts Chinese influence and control over U.S. foreign policy only
refers to a hypothetical nation advancing the interests of both cultures equally
12. According to the text, a more positive and constructive relationship between the U.S. and China could be accomplished by:
China adjusting its foreign policy to be more supportive of U.S. foreign policy
U.S. adjusting its foreign policy to emphasize the correctness of it
adjustments to the foreign policy of both U.S. and China
world body legislation
13. Indian culture is often characterized as a _____?
low context culture
high context culture
14. How should Westerners working in India express emotions in conversations with Indians?
increase expression of negative emotions
avoid expressing negative emotions
increase expression of both positive and negative emotions
avoid expressing positive affect
15. Men engage in intermediated communication
more frequently than women.
less frequently than women.
only when they have HIV.
only when the want a divorce.
16. “Melting pot” and “color blind society” are metaphors for which of the following? interethnic communication message
17. The messages of reconciliation reflect the struggle of Americans seeking which of the following?
none of the above
18. How many people in the U.S. have some type of disability?
one in five people
one in ten people
one in twenty people
one in thirty people
19. Of the three phases identified when adjusting to a disability, which includes an individual’s focus on rehabilitation and all of the physical changes being experienced?
20. Which of the following is NOT a severe consequence of stereotyping?
The stereotyped group may engage in self-fulfilling behavior.
Those who have preconceived notions may act upon their beliefs.
The self-esteem and self-confidence of the stereotyped group may suffer.
Interactions may improve only in a general sense.