1. When performing a foreign body removal of the intestines, which instrument is the surgeon most likely to use to keep the intestines closed?
A. Allis tissue forceps
B. Babcock intestinal forceps
C. Doyen intestinal clamps
D. Rochester-Carmalt hemostats
2. Which of the following regarding gowns and drapes is correct?
A. Paper gowns are more economical than cloth gowns.
B. Drapes are available only in cloth.
C. Paper gowns can be washed and used several times.
D. It’s desirable for gowns and drapes to absorb blood.
3. A disinfectant noted for its effectiveness against bacterial spores and viruses is
A. benzalkonium chloride.
B. isoproyl alcohol.
D. ethyl alcohol.
4. Which of the following is true of ethylene oxide?
A. Decreasing the heat in the ethylene oxide chamber or decreasing the gas concentration decreases the amount of sterilization time required.
B. Ethylene oxide is normally a colorless gas that’s explosive when mixed with air.
C. Ethylene oxide kills by the process of protein denaturation.
D. Ethylene oxide works best in a completely dry environment.
5. To prepare and assist the surgeon, you should
A. allow him or her to unwrap the surgical pack.
B. allow him or her to tie the gown for maximum comfort.
C. make sure the cap and mask are on before scrubbing.
D. scrub his or her fingernails with a brush.
6. Which of the following is a component of a basic anesthesia unit?
A. Suction unit
C. Kern clamp
D. V-shaped trough
7. Patients are held NPO for eight to twelve hours before a scheduled surgery to
A. make the surgical incision easier to perform.
B. lessen the possibility of vomiting and aspiration.
C. decrease the risk of contamination.
D. make the anesthetic drugs more effective.
8. The most common method of sterilization used in a veterinary practice is
B. cold sterilization.
C. heat sterilization.
D. chemical sterilization
9. You’re assisting a veterinarian who is about to suture a patient after surgery. The veterinarian chooses a nonabsorbable, monofilament suture material. Which suture material did the veterinarian choose?
A. Polymerized caprolactam
D. Surgical catgut
10. You’re about to sterilize instruments needed for an upcoming surgical procedure. To flash-sterilize these instruments, you should use a/an
A. ethylene oxide chemical sterilizer.
B. gravity displacement autoclave.
C. filtration sterilizer.
D. prevacuum steam sterilizer.
11. Which of the following forceps is used to grasp blood vessels and delicate tissue?
D. Adson tissue
12. All of the following instruments are found in an orthopedic pack, except
A. snook hook.
B. Jacobs chuck.
C. periosteal elevator.
13. _______ are delicate scissors designed to dissect and cut delicate soft tissues.
A. DeBakey forceps
B. Metzenbaum scissors
C. Adson tissue forceps
D. Littauer scissors
14. Which of the following is true regarding instrument cleaning and care?
A. A wire brush should be used to clean Metzenbaum scissors.
B. Instruments made of several component parts should be disassembled before cleaning.
C. Instruments don’t need to be cleaned if they’ll be sterilized.
D. The detergent used to clean the instruments should have a very low pH.
15. Which of the following is the best procedure for using an autoclave?
A. Place packs in the opposite direction of steam flow, don’t fully pack the autoclave, and allow contents to dry for at least 10 minutes.
B. Place packs in the direction of steam flow, fully pack the autoclave, and allow
contents to dry for at least 10 minutes.
C. Place packs in the direction of steam flow, don’t fully pack the autoclave, and allow contents to dry for at least 20 minutes.
D. Place packs in the opposite direction of steam flow, fully pack the autoclave, and allow contents to dry for at least 20 minutes.
16. You’re observing the veterinarian using a trephine. For which procedure is this instrument most appropriate?
A. To obtain a sample of a bone for biopsy
B. To grasp bone fragments during repair of a broken bone
C. To retract the abdominal wall during abdominal exploratory surgery
D. To grasp and bend orthopedic wires and pins
17. Instruments sterilized with a disinfectant are recommended for
A. dental procedures.
B. any outpatient surgery.
C. suturing major skin lacerations.
D. all procedures.
18. The safe storage time for a double-wrapped muslin instrument pack in a closed cabinet is
A. three weeks.
B. seven weeks.
C. one week.
D. at least eight weeks
19. The strongest suture material for its size with the greatest knot security is
A. stainless steel.
C. surgical catgut.
20. A _______ should be part of every surgical pack.
B. periosteal elevator
C. sterilization indicator
D. spay hook