Pediatric Research Paper Assignment Instructions
Description: The paper assignments in OTA 113 are designed to develop specific skills. The paper will focus on a specific disorder and a specific chronological context. The paper will be 4 – 8 pages in total length (including title page, abstract page and reference list) and will follow all of the standard requirements for papers within the Parkland College OTA program.
Students will demonstrate:
a) Ability to describe the relationship between disability, chronological and developmental contexts.
b) Ability to describe how disability affects areas of occupation and performance skills.
c) Effective written communication skills.
d) Library research skills for gathering new information.
e) Editing and feedback skills through peer proofreading.
1) You will be assigned a disorder to address in your paper and you will select the specific chronological context. You may select either 3 y.o., 5 y.o., or 9 y.o. The disorder you are assigned may play a large part in the age you select to focus on.
2) Conduct a literature search to identify the following types of information:
a) Description of selected health problem:
2) Prevalence in the United States
4) Risk factors
5) Signs & symptoms
b) For each of the areas below, describe normal development for the age chosen, and describe how the disorder will affect that development (e.g. developmental milestones, inability to grow, etc.). If the disorder will have no effect, describe why not.
3) emotional regulation
Note: if you wish, you may present this information in table format. If you choose to do so, you MUST format and label the table according to APA guidelines. This is the ONLY information you may present in table form. You do not have to use a table if you’d prefer not to.
c) List and define services for treatment/intervention appropriate to the age selected. Include medical and OT services, and other disciplines (e.g. speech) as appropriate.
d) Select two (2) different Areas of Occupation that the condition will affect. For each area of occupation, describe the following:
1) Name the area of occupation (e.g. “ADLs” or “education”).
2) Name one “sub area” listed in the Framework under the Area of Occupation that would be affected (e.g. if you selected “ADL” as the Area of Occupation, you might select “personal hygiene and grooming” as the sub-area).
3) Name one (1) specific Performance Skill from the Framework (e.g. “grips”) that would be affected
i. Note: DON’T just say “motor skills” or “process skills” or “social interaction skills,” pick a specific skill that the Framework lists under those headings.
4) using an illustrative example (e.g. “brushing teeth”), show how the deficit in the Performance Skill will cause difficulty in the sub-area of the Area of Occupation.
3) Each PPT is required to have, at minimum, information from the following types of sources:
• 1 OTA book (textbook)
• 1 Book that is not an OT text (Tamparo counts)
• 1 Professional peer reviewed Journal (OT or other profession)
• 1 Web site that has a RELIABLE individual or corporate author
Note: Failure to use and properly cite all 4 required sources will result in a significant grade reduction!
4) You must have a title page that conforms to the APA guidelines for a research paper title page.
5) Your paper should contain (almost) all of the parts of an APA-style research paper, to include an introduction with thesis statement, and a conclusion. You do NOT have to include an abstract for this paper.
6) You must use proper APA-style in-text citations anytime you present any information that is not your own (unless it’s common knowledge such as “MD” stands for “muscular dystrophy” or “there are 7 days in a week”). As such, most of your paragraphs will likely have some in-text citations.
7) You must put quotation marks around any quotations used, and use proper APA-style citations to include page number (if applicable). Use quotations sparingly. Stringing a bunch of quotations together and calling it your own work is essentially plagiarism even if you cite all of the quotations properly.
8) You must cite any images according to APA-style (see APA guidelines for images/figures). Note: the guidelines for images/figures are different from those for normal in-text citations.
9) You must have an APA-style reference list at the end of your paper.
PAPER PREPARATION WORKSHEET: The worksheet must be turned in to the instructor by the designated worksheet due date for instructor review.
PEER REVIEWS: Peer reviews will be conducted for each paper using the Paper Evaluation Form. Five points will be deducted from your final paper score if you fail to:
• Give your classmate your draft by due date
• Provide a thorough review of classmate’s paper (or explain with examples why no feedback was necessary)
• Return your classmate’s reviewed paper by due date
✓Since this is an actual paper, you DO need complete and proper sentences that would make your English teacher proud. 😊
✓Since this is a research paper, you probably won’t have any images to cite, but if you do have any you must cite them according to APA formatting, even if you created them yourself (give yourself credit!).
✓Check the Purdue OWL website (linked to on Cobra) or other reliable sources for good APA information.
List and define services for treatment/intervention appropriate to the age selected. Include medical and OT services, and other disciplines (e.g. speech) as appropriate.