Exam: 007502RR – THE CLASSICAL ERA
1. The double exposition concerto form differs from the standard sonata form in that
A. it includes a single exposition.
B. it has a cadenza.
C. it’s played by two pianos.
D. the exposition stays in the same key.
2. In an opera, the standard accompaniment for a recitative is
A. the basso continuo alone.
B. sung by a soprano.
C. a function of the string quartet.
D. played by the orchestra.
3. The opening section of a minuet is known as the
A. minuet proper.
B. opening theme.
C. minuet exposition.
D. opening idea.
4. Which one of the following pieces of music would you most expect to be played by a full orchestra?
D. Chamber music
5. Which of the following is the highest voice in a string quartet?
A. Violin 2
C. Violin 1
6. In a string quartet, the bass instrument is the
A. bass guitar.
7. What dates are commonly assigned to the Classical period?
8. Singing the alphabet song to the tune of Mozart’s “Ah, vous dirai-je, maman” is an example of
A. musical duplication.
B. thematic variation.
C. musical appropriation.
9. Which of the following is a long work for orchestra, usually made up of four movements?
10. Which of the following does opera buffa portray?
A. Mythological characters and stories
B. Real-life characters and situations
C. Religious characters and stories
D. Historical characters and situations
11. The dialogue in an opera is translated for the audience in the
12. Which mid-eighteenth century composer is credited with having the greatest impact on the significance
of the string quartet?
13. Which one of the following patterns represents the rondo form?
A. A A B B C
B. D C B A
C. A B C D
D. A B A C A
14. Opera _______ is a light, frequently comic style of opera.
15. The _______ is an essential characteristic of the sonata form.
A. fluctuation of rhythm
B. development of themes
C. sudden crescendo
D. absence of harmony
16. The music of the Classical era reflects the principles of
A. clarity and proportion.
B. the splendor of the church.
C. extravagance and unpredictability.
D. ornamentation and extremes.
17. The Japanese koto is what type of instrument?
18. The last “act” of a sonata is known as the
B. secondary key area.
19. The first section of a sonata in which the theme is presented is commonly called the
20. The second section of a sonata is commonly called the
End of exam