Exam: 007505RR – THE TWENTIETH CENTURY, PART 1
1. A _______ scale is based on five notes.
2. In The Unanswered Question, the strings are played
A. in constant competition with the brass.
B. in unresolved dissonance.
C. fast and loud for shock value.
D. as if they’re playing a slow hymn.
3. The _______ were interested in the hypnotic quality of the repeated melodic fragments and interlocked
patterns created by the gamelan.
4. Debussy’s Voiles was inspired by a Javanese ensemble known as a
5. Roland says that Ruth Crawford Seeger was a modernist composer. Clive says that she was a collector
and arranger of American folksongs. Who is correct?
A. Only Roland is correct.
B. Only Clive is correct.
C. Neither Roland nor Clive is correct.
D. Both Roland and Clive are correct.
6. Standard Song Form for popular hits of the 1920s and 1930s was
7. Which of the following composers sought to obtain a nonpercussive sound from the piano in his
8. _______ is a singing technique that’s part speech and part song.
9. Expressionist music is generally thought of as
10. Music that doesn’t center on a particular key is referred to as
11. The most common pattern of verses in blues songs is the _______ pattern.
12. Constantly repeated musical patterns with many abrupt changes in length and tempos are known as
13. _______ notes are produced by lowering the third, fifth, or seventh steps of major scales.
14. Modernism, a movement that represented an abolishment of tradition and a quest for novelty, took
A. Middle nineteenth century
B. Early twentieth century
C. Classical period
D. Early twenty-first century
15. Bebop is a style of
16. Schoenberg’s 12-tone composition is based on a/an _______ scale.
17. The Rite of Spring was composed by
A. Heitor Villa-Lobos.
B. Igor Stravinsky.
C. Arnold Schoenberg.
D. Alban Berg.
18. You’ll find the “circle-of-fifths” chord progression used in which of the following types of music?
D. Big band jazz
19. Ragtime composers often made use of
End of exam
20. Jody says that atonal harmony establishes a harmonic center of gravity. Sean says that atonal harmony
doesn’t have a harmonic center of gravity. Who is correct?
A. Both Jody and Sean are correct.
B. Neither Jody nor Sean is correct.
C. Only Sean is correct.
D. Only Jody is correct.