1. What happened to Nubia around 1,000 B.C.E.?
A. It suffered from a massive flood.
B. It suffered from a catastrophic plague.
C. It became dependent on Egypt.
D. It disappeared from Egyptian records.
2. Which of the following statements is true of the Ice Age that began 150,000 years ago?
A. Many humans enjoyed high levels of nutrition and long days of leisure.
B. Art played no role in society at this time.
C. Humans didn’t use highly expressive symbols.
D. Culture varied greatly throughout the inhabited world.
3. Among early hunting and gathering peoples, the commonly occurring mark that looks like a “P” is
thought to stand for a
A. favored animal.
B. symbol for a calendar.
C. powerful male leader.
4. A key technological development that began around 500 B.C.E. in sub-Saharan Africa was
A. iron smelting.
B. monumental architecture.
D. yam cultivation.
5. Which of the following most directly caused the decline in the Cretan and Mycenaean civilizations?
B. High taxes
C. Ecological disasters
D. Overextension from conquest