1.A method for countering social loafing includes:
formal evaluation of member contributions
emphasizing task functions
setting clear group goals
2.Which stage requires that team members feel they are a part of the team for further progression in group development to occur?
3. Recently, four types of creativity have been proposed based upon the source of the trigger (internal or external) and the source of the problem (presented versus discovered). Which of the following is NOT one of these types of creativity?
4. Facebook holds virtual town meetings for 30 days following changes to principles and statements of rights and responsibilities that impact users. Users will then be able to comment on changes and ultimately vote on adoption. Which of the following steps of participation in decision making are reflected by this process? (Points : 4)
5. Former Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich tried to sell President Barack Obama’s Senate seat for money. It was also reported he attempted to trade the seat for money, ambassadorships, and even a $150,000 salary for his wife. This is an example of the use of:
6. Which of the following is a symptom of powerlessness at the first line supervisory level?
overly close supervision
resistance to change
protecting your turf
7. The range in which attempts to influence the employee are perceived as legitimate and are acted on without a great deal of thought is known as:
the principal/agent relationship
the zone of indifference
8. Recent research on cultural similarity found that Mexico and Brazil:
had very similar values as other countries in the region
had very dis-similar values when compared to other countries in the region
had different preferences and that Brazilian’s preferred transformation leadership and Mexican’s preferred transactional leadership
both preferred servant leadership
9. When considering the type of leadership style exhibited according to the behavioral theories, which of the following is most accurate?
The specific situation is important because the leader’s style varies with each situation.
The emotional atmosphere of the work environment has not been associated with a particular leadership style.
Situational characteristics are not important because the leader’s style does not vary over different situations.
Laissez-faire leadership is similar to the employee-centered or subordinate-centered approach to leadership.
10. According to the contingency theory developed by Fiedler, what is the most appropriate action where it is found there is a misfit between the leader and the situation?
Attempt to change the leaders behavior through training.
Remove the leader and replace him/her with someone that will result in a fit.
Reengineer the leader’s situation to fit the leader’s basic predisposition.
Develop better assessment techniques for leaders as well as group members.
11. As a supervisor, you are not likely to be able to solve _____ conflict of others.
12. An ineffective technique for dealing with conflict where a delaying action is used to buy time is referred to as:
13. When a person continually responds with pessimism to attempts at solving a problem:
14. Job enlargement is largely a response to:
decreases in productivity
a need to overcome the limitations of overspecialized work
a need to re-engineer jobs due to an increase in the utilization of technology
the disappointing affects of job rotation
15. A job is defined as:
a sequence of experiences
effortful, productive activity
an activity where value comes from performance
specific work and task activities
16. While there are differences in the meaning of work among countries, similarities appear to exist in:
job enrichment and satisfaction
determinants of job involvement
two common work dimensions: work content and job context
two common motivators: positive feedback and valued rewards
17. According to Levinson’s life stages and career stages, middle adulthood is best associated with:
the establishment stage
the withdrawal stage
the advancement/maintenance stage
the establish/advancement stage