Ms. Troy would like you to make a copy of an outfit that she owns and really likes—a sleeveless dress with a short-sleeve jacket. She has selected a lilac linen fabric that comes in 36-in. width. You make a pattern for the dress and record the following measurements:
Jacket back length 15 in.
Front skirt length 20 in.
Full back length 41 in.
1. What length of material do you need to purchase for the dress portion of the outfit?
A. 82 in.
B. 41 in.
C. 70 in.
D. 91 in.
2. What length of material do you need for the jacket sleeves?
A. 21 in.
B. 36 in.
C. 27 in.
D. 54 in.
3. The fabric label doesn’t say if the linen was preshrunk. You test the fabric for shrinkage and determine it needs to be shrunk. How do you do this?
A. Wash the material in cold water and dry on high in dryer.
B. Immerse the material in hot water and drip dry.
C. Wash the material in hot water and dry on high in dryer.
D. Immerse the material in warm water and drip dry.
4. Which shaping technique will add shape to a bodice?
5. A client tries on a skirt. You check the side seams. They curve towards the back. What does this indicate?
A. The skirt front is too tight.
B. The skirt front is too loose.
C. The skirt back is too tight.
D. The skirt back is too loose.
6. You plan to attach a flat 1/2-in. button to a garment. The size of the buttonhole should be
A. 1/2 in.
B. 5/8 in.
C. 1 in.
D. 3/8 in.
7. You’re sewing a child’s nylon jacket. You notice the fabric frays easily. Which would be your best buttonhole option?
A. Bound buttonhole
B. Jetted and piped buttonhole
C. Machine-stitched worked buttonhole
D. Handworked buttonhole with iron-on tape
8. When attaching a button on a man’s overcoat, you can best reduce heavy strain on the button by reinforcing the button with
A. a smaller button on the inside.
B. silk thread.
C. extra stitches sewn through button.
D. a wooden button.
9. As many alterations as possible should be made
A. after sewing a garment.
B. on the pattern pieces.
C. immediately after cutting.
D. following the markings on the pattern piece.
10. A client would like you to make a skirt with pleats. Which of these fabrics would have difficulty pleating well?