350735RR Ancient Mediterranean Cultures through the 18th Century
1. _______ and Titian went on to become some of the greatest Venetian painters during the High Renaissance.
B. de’ Medici
2. _______ were heavily used in Byzantine art.
A. Fertility statues
3. The _______ refers to the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries in Europe.
A. Age of Kings
B. Renaissance Age
C. Industrial Revolution
D. Classical Age
4. Which type of architecture is best described by thick stone walls, round arches, and barrel-vaulted stone ceilings?
5. _______ was part of the first generation of Renaissance artists.
A. St. Mark
6. Renaissance Academies were modeled on the Ancient Greek Academy of:
7. _______ is the name that historians use for the time period beginning around 476.
A. The Middle Ages
C. The Renaissance
8. Artists in ancient civilizations used durable materials like
A. glass, canvas, and rocks.
B. fired clay, metal, and glass.
C. stone, metal, and fired clay.
D. stone, gold, and porcelain.
9. _______ refers to the spread of Greek culture through countries further east.
10. The three major Aegean cultures were
A. Cycladic, Minoan, and Mycenaean.
B. Greek, Spanish, and French.
C. Monotheist, polytheist, and atheist.
D. Cycladic, Monotheist, and pagan.
11. Where is the Neolithic rock painting at Tassili n’Ajjer located?
B. Lower Egypt
D. Sahara Desert
12. _______ comes from an Italian word that means “style.”
A. Memento mori
13. _______ was prevalent in art in northwestern Europe during the Middle Ages.
B. Geometric motifs
C. Animal style
14. Dürer’s two written works regarding art are
A. Linear Perspective and Musculature Design
B. Dürer’s Philosophy and Human Perspective
C. Monumental Perspective and Landscape Composition
D. Treatise on Measurement and Four Books on Human Proportions
15. The ziggurat at Ur was built by which people?
16. Classic refers to the _______ of quality.
C. average standard
D. highest standard
17. Most of the surviving sculpture from the Greek Parthenon today are located in:
18. During the Renaissance, artists began to observe the _______ so they could reproduce it more accurately.
A. Middle Ages
B. church’s teachings
C. classic teachings
D. natural world
19. _______ was Michelangelo’s younger rival.
C. de’ Medici
20. Mt. Vesuvius erupted in 79 CE and buried the town of ____________ with the lava and ash creating a time capsule that left the city undisturbed for 16 centuries.