1. Trigonometric functions using the ratio of two sides of a triangle can be used to solve _______ triangles.
2. How many complete revolutions are needed to draw the angle 725°?
3. As the angle θ increases to 90° the value of tan(θ)
A. increases rapidly.
B. approaches +1.
C. approaches –1.
D. decreases rapidly.
4. All reference angles must be
A. between 90° and 180°.
B. less than 90°.
C. more than 360°.
D. less than 45°.
5. Moving waves can be described either as a function of time or as a function of
6. In what quadrant is the angle 237° located?
7. An inverse trigonometric function is used to find the value of an unknown obtuse angle in a triangle. The inverse function returns the angle 68°. What is the value of the unknown angle?
8. The cosine function for a specific angle in a triangle is defined by the ratio of the triangle’s
A. adjacent side and opposite angle.
B. opposite side and hypotenuse.
C. opposite side and adjacent side.
D. adjacent side and hypotenuse.
9. To use the law of sines, which of the following statements must be true?
A. The triangle must be a right triangle.
B. All three side lengths must be known.
C. At least one side length and opposite angle pair must be known.
D. At least two angles must be known.
10. The height of a sinusoidal wave is called its
11. _______ angles are used to relate the values returned by inverse trigonometric functions to angles larger than 90°.
12. The trig functions cosine and secant are related through a(n) _______ trig identity.
13. Over what range of angles does the value of sin(θ) consistently increase?
A. 45° to 135°
B. 90° to 180°
C. 0° to 90°
D. 0° to 180°
14. Calculate the value of tan (48°19’23”).
15. If the only information given about an oblique triangle is the lengths of the three sides, which method should you use to solve for the angles?
A. Law of cosines
B. Law of sines
C. Trigonometric functions with side length ratios
D. Pythagorean theorem
16. The electrical signal created by a piece of test equipment at a specific point in time is described by the function Vinst(t) = 12 × sin(360 × 60 × 6.3 + 79). What is the maximum voltage produced by the system?
A. 6.3 V
B. 12 V
C. 60 V
D. 79 V
17. Using the DMS method to describe an angle, one degree of angle measurement can be divided into how many minutes?
18. Which of the following trigonometric functions can be described as a reciprocal trig function? A. arctan(θ)
19. When drawn on a circle, the angle 472° is drawn in the same position as
20. An angle in a right triangle is identified as θ. If the tangent of θ equals one, what must be true about the triangle side lengths?
A. The side adjacent to theta is half the length of the hypotenuse.
B. The sides opposite and adjacent to theta are the same length.
C. The side adjacent to theta is longer than the adjacent side.
D. The side opposite to theta is longer than the adjacent side.