Penn Foster 070500RR The Middle Ages And The Renaissance
1. Renaissance composers used which of the following to create polyphonic textures?
C. Ternary forms
2. An example of a double reed musical instrument is the
3. Until the sixteenth century, music was written primarily
A. in the minor mode.
B. in the major mode.
C. for dance.
D. for just one voice.
4. A series of notes that moves stepwise and covers a complete span is called a/an
A. whole step.
5. In _______ texture, every line is, in effect, a melody.
6. In musical language, mezzo forte (mf) signals that the music’s volume should be
A. medium soft.
B. very loud.
C. medium loud.
7. A capella choral music is meant to be
A. sung by men only.
B. played in church on an organ.
C. sung by women only.
D. sung without instrumental accompaniment.
8. A measured performance that adheres consistently to the duple meter would be read as
9. The texture of Gregorian chant is said to be
10. The highest range of notes is sung by the
11. An example of a percussion instrument is the
12. Roy will play a melody in triple meter and place the pulse of the meter on the first beat. Chuck will play
the triple meter melody and place the pulse of the meter on the third beat. Who is playing the melody with
the correct pulse?
B. Both are playing the melody correctly.
D. Neither is playing the melody correctly.
13. The basic framework for ordering music through time is the
14. Von Bingen’s Play of Virtues is set to which of the following types of music?
A. Liturgical plainchant
15. In plainchant, a sentence of text almost always ends with
A. a minor chord.
B. disjunct motion.
D. the note D.
16. The volume of sound is known as
17. Harmony is used to support the melody by using
A. monophonic chant.
18. Landini’s tendency to intersperse occasional melismas in text that was generally syllabic in nature
helped to ensure that the music
A. had enjoyable rhythm.
B. was easily understood by the listener.
C. conveyed happiness.
D. wasn’t monotonous.
19. If you’re studying the science of sound, you’re studying which of the following?
20. Native American chant incorporates meaningless sung syllables that serve as a form of melodic
B. drone bass.
D. duple meter.