1. The Italian word for “prayer hall,” which refers to a piece of music that includes recitatives, arias, and
C. opera buffa.
2. Which of the following was typically used in the symphonic finale in the Classical Era?
3. Dido and Aeneas is an example of _______ opera.
4. The term melody refers to a pattern of
5. The second movement of a symphony is usually written in _______ form.
A. A B C D
B. A B C
C. A B C A
D. A B A
6. A _______ is a melodic pattern in Indian music designed to express or produce a specific feeling.
7. A short, catchy motif that forms the memorable core of a song is called the
C. chord progression.
8. The _______ is an example of a non-pitched instrument.
9. What musical form is defined as a poem set to music?
10. The instrument that usually has the leading role in a piano trio is the
11. According to your textbook, which composer is considered to be the most controversial composer who
12. Bach’s Cantata no. 140 is an intricate reconstruction of a
A. Baroque operetta.
B. patriotic song.
C. well-known hymn.
D. popular ballet tune.
13. Alphonsus wants to include unified timbre in part of his cantata. How will this be accomplished?
A. The chorus will sing in unison while the orchestra plays an accompaniment.
B. The instruments in the orchestra will play the same notes that the chorus is singing.
C. The orchestra will play in unison while the chorus sings in harmony.
D. The violins will have a solo and will all play harmony notes.
14. Baroque composers considered the _______ to be the touchstone of their art.
15. In the 1920s, Schoenberg developed the new system for organizing music called
B. 12-tone composition.
C. 12-bar blues.
D. atonal closure.
16. The instrument that can create sound digitally and can mimic other instruments by adding partials to the
fundamentals is the
17. The third section of the sonata form is referred to as the
18. Bass and soprano registers are aspects of
C. rhythmic values.
19. Julio wants the chorus to sing a section of music very softly. What will Julio write in that section to
convey his wishes?
20. The musical work that depicts an artist being led to his execution is
A. Cherry Blossom.
B. Berlioz’s Symphonie fantastique.
C. Cage’s 4’33”.
D. Schubert’s “Erlkönig.”
21. The repetition (AA), variation (AA’), and contrast (AB) of a piece of music are all part of the music’s
22. The Broadway musical is descended from the
23. The _______ voice is the highest voice in vocal music.
24. The Renaissance period in musical history lasted from about
A. 1450 to 1750.
B. 1425 to 1600.
C. 1500 to 1789.
D. 1650 to 1750.
25. “Erlkönig” is one of the hundreds of songs written by
26. When the singers and band repeat a basic section of music while the lead singer improvises on a single
motif, the result is called a
27. What is the pattern of the Standard Song Form?
A. A B A C
B. A B A B
C. A A B A
D. A B B A
28. Tony says that a distinguishing characteristic of the Stradivarius violin is the nature of the wood from
which it’s made. Shin Lee says that it’s the shape of the f holes that gives the instrument its distinct
characteristic. Who is correct?
A. Both Tony and Shin Lee are correct.
B. Only Shin Lee is correct.
C. Neither Tony nor Shin Lee is correct.
D. Only Tony is correct.
29. Who wrote Don Giovanni?
30. Von Bingen’s Play of Virtues is a good example of a type of music called
A. vocal quartet.
31. What term is used to describe the combination of contrasting melodies played at the same time?
32. Which one of the following is the name used for a Javanese instrumental group?
33. Another word for the “color” of music is