Penn Foster 050141RR ART APPRECIATION
1. Color-Field Painting was associated with what artist?
A. Willem de Kooning
B. Jackson Pollock
C. Franz Kline
D. Mark Rothko
2. Which of the following men designed Monticello?
A. Frank Lloyd Wright
B. James Wines
C. Thomas Jefferson
D. Robert Venturi
3. Which one of the following types of balance is less restrictive and more dynamic than the others?
A. Symmetrical balance
B. Asymmetrical balance
C. Radial balance
D. Bilateral balance
4. Many of Hans Holbein’s religious paintings were destroyed in the name of the Protestant movement
5. To define a picture plane, a two-dimensional artist must establish
A. specific atmospheric perspective.
B. the borders of the artwork.
C. a vanishing point and horizon.
D. the figure-ground effect.
6. Which one of the following items is a product of industrial design?
A. A vacuum cleaner
B. A ceramic vase
C. A blown-glass bowl
D. A woven basket
7. Wood carving is the most important form of sculptural art from
8. St. Peter’s Basilica was constructed in the _______ centuries.
A. fifteenth and sixteenth
B. sixteenth and seventeenth
C. seventeenth and eighteenth
D. eighteenth and nineteenth
9. Which one of the following philosophies was based on dreams?
A. Abstract art
10. Which one of the following statements is not true about the Hagia Sophia in Constantinople?
A. It was built by Justinian.
B. It was originally built in the eighth century.
C. It was a church that was transformed into a mosque.
D. It was influenced by Roman architecture.
11. Which one of the following artists was associated with Impressionism?
A. Paul Cezanne
B. William Turner
C. Paul Gauguin
D. Claude Monet
12. Byzantine art is a combination of Christian symbolism and _______ style.
13. A/An _______ must understand both art and engineering.
A. graphic designer
B. industrial designer
C. interior designer
D. environmental designer
14. Shapes that aren’t meant to refer to anything we can see in the real world are said to be
15. The art of the Middle Ages focused on themes of
A. chaos and anger.
B. peace and tranquility.
C. death and sin.
D. life and love.
16. The _______ is considered the beginning of the modern world.
A. Rococo period
B. Classical period
C. scientific revolution
17. The Chinese considered _______ to be one of the highest forms of art.
C. stained glass
18. This artist represents the purist method of Impressionism.
A. Claude Monet
B. Édouard Manet
C. Pierre-Auguste Renoir
D. Vincent van Gogh
19. Unlike Christian architecture, Hindu religious architecture is
A. not so much constructed as carved.
B. accessible only to men.
C. very scarce, although very well preserved.
D. generally unembellished and austere.
20. Another name for serigraphy is
A. silkscreen printing.
C. wood engraving.
D. metal printmaking.
21. In _______ printmaking, only one print is made.
22. Which one of the following buildings is an example of French Gothic architecture?
A. The Seagram Building
B. Crystal Palace
C. The Parthenon
D. Notre Dame Cathedral
23. Who was Clement Greenberg?
A. An important artist
B. An influential graphic designer
C. An innovative craftsperson
D. An important art critic
24. _______ was the most famous practitioner of Classicism.
A. Caspar David Friedrich
C. Nicolas Poussin
D. Eugène Delacroix
25. The divine proportion is also called
A. the Golden Mean.
B. symmetrical balance.
C. atmospheric perspective.
D. positive space.
26. In what city is the tomb of Empress Gala Placida?
27. Which of the following groups of artists launched a war on conventional thinking?
28. Who is considered the father of modern art?
A. Vincent van Gogh
B. Andy Warhol
C. Pablo Picasso
D. Paul Cezanne
29. Judy Chicago was instrumental in starting what art movement?
A. Feminist art
B. Pop art
C. Minimalist art
D. Performance art
30. What color is the complement of orange?
31. Oil paint can be diluted with an oil medium or solvents such as turpentine to be made into transparent
32. Mary Cassatt was part of what art movement?
33. Guernica was an important politically charged work. Who painted it and with what movement is it
A. Max Ernst and Dada
B. Henri Matisse and Fauvism
C. Pablo Picasso and Cubism
D. Andy Warhol and Pop art
34. Which one of the following photographers was a documentary photographer during the Depression?
A. Alfred Stieglitz
B. Dorothea Lange
C. Man Ray
D. Mathew Brady
35. Impressionism began in what time period and in what country?
A. Nineteenth-century France
B. Eighteenth-century England
C. Nineteenth-century England
D. Seventeenth-century France
36. This artist was influenced by African masks.
A. Pablo Picasso
B. Edvard Munch
C. Édouard Manet
D. Vincent van Gogh
37. Which one of the following divisions of the applied and decorative arts is used to produce primarily
38. Neoclassicism as an artistic style sought to emphasize
A. grandeur and exuberance.
B. asymmetry and ornamentation.
C. order and rationality.
D. tension and drama.
39. Which one of the following artists was known to use art as a way of reliving the past?
A. Jackson Pollock
B. Pablo Picasso
C. Marc Chagall
D. Willem de Kooning
40. In Jan van Eyck’s painting Giovanni Arnolfini and his Bride, the dog symbolizes
C. the nuptial service.