1. Duane will use an open system LAN because he knows the open system will support varieties of hardware and software components made by different vendors. Steve will use a closed system LAN because he knows the closed system is favored by network manufacturers. Who is using the best system for a LAN?
B. Only Duane
C. Only Steve
2. Utilities software and word processing software are both examples of which of the following?
A. Network software
B. Application software
C. Printer software
D. Desktop publishing software
3. Power supplies in modern computers supply _______ volts.
A. 3.3, 6, and 12
B. 3.3, 5, and 12
C. 3.3, 5, and 6
D. 5, 6, and 12
4. All data must be copied into _______ before the CPU can read them.
5. What does NIC stand for?
A. Network interface cache
B. Network information card
C. Network information configuration
D. Network interface card
6. _______ can be used more than once.
A. PC layers
C. Extended Codex
7. What type of mouse is becoming the most preferred?
D. Roller ball
8. An Internet Service Provider is a company that
A. requires proprietary software available only to paying customers.
B. acts as a utility to connect users to the Internet.
C. keeps an inventory of all files on your hard drive.
D. diagnoses problems with your computer automatically.
9. The XP boot process was speeded up by which technological innovation?
A. By locating the BOOT.INI file in its own directory
B. Microsoft mandated use of dedicated video RAM
C. Hardware designed to use higher voltage while running boot routines
D. By running boot functions in parallel
10. Which of the following best describes the ink-jet printer?
A. Works the same as a laser printer but uses light-emitting diodes
B. Similar in operation to electric or manual typewriters
C. Similar in operation to a dot matrix printer and offers both high quality and affordability
D. Uses expensive, heat-sensitive paper, is inflexible, and yields a low-quality output
11. In today’s PC environment, you’re most likely to find floppy drives on
A. legacy or older computers.
B. stand alone networked terminals.
D. Kindles and IPADs.
12. Francis says that the self-configuring PCI bus led to the Plug and Play innovation. Albert says it was the ISA bus that led to Plug and Play. Who is correct?
A. Only Francis
B. Only Albert
13. Which of the following would be the best Internet connection for a person living in a isolated area?
B. Cable modem
D. Fiber Optic
14. The wireless mouse works by
A. Bluetooth connectivity to the CPU.
B. special purpose software running on an integrated circuit in the mouse case.
C. transmission to a receiver mounted in a USB port.
D. transmission to an antenna installed within 30 feet of the computer.
15. Which piece of hardware is the computer’s main secondary storage device?
B. Hard drive
C. Memory address
16. The major reason for the predominance of the PCI bus in the latest models of PCs is that
A. it uses ASSEMBLER language commands.
B. the size and form factor make it easy to package.
C. it’s exclusively manufactured in the USA.
D. the technology was released as open source.
17. In Windows 7/Vista, the information that establishes basic settings such as the location of the operating system and other key startup parameters is located in the
A. Boot Manager (BOOTMGR) file.
B. Partition Boot Record (PBR).
C. Boot Initialization (BOOT.INI) file.
D. Boot Configuration Database (BCD).
18. You should avoid trying to repair a CRT (Cathode Ray Tube) monitor because
A. high voltages remain in the CRT and can deliver dangerous shocks.
B. the attached PC contains encrypted coding that will be lost.
C. you’ll void the warranty.
D. wiring to the PC might short out.
19. An ISP connects you to
A. the World Wide Web.
B. a network switch box.
C. the hard drive.
D. a Zip drive.
20. What does BIOS stand for?
A. Basic input/output system
B. Backup information only system
C. Basic integrated operating system
D. Binary instruction override system