Penn foster 007506RR THE TWENTIETH CENTURY, PART 2
1. Einstein on a Beach was a unique opera because it
A. was written in Chinese.
B. had no plot and very little singing.
C. was exclusively recitative.
D. had a single violinist.
2. Which of John Cage’s works has been perceived by some as a joke?
B. Imaginary Landscape no. 4
C. Illiac Suite
D. Einstein on a Beach
3. For the movie Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Chinese-American _______ was enlisted to play the
cello to offset the Asian-sounding erhu.
A. Yo-Yo Ma
B. Tan Dun
C. Xiaohui Ma
D. Ang Lee
4. The musician who ushered in the twentieth-century era of virtuosic rock guitar playing was
A. Jimi Hendrix.
B. Chet Atkins.
C. Brian Wilson.
D. Chuck Berry.
5. A musical style that combines traditional and modern elements is called
6. The type of music that blended the musical styles of jump blues and honky-tonk was
A. hip hop.
C. rock ‘n’ roll.
7. Public Enemy’s abrasive rap recording “Fight the Power” has a basic pulse of _______ beats per minute.
8. Which song crossed racial boundaries by achieving success on both the R&B and pop charts?
A. “Please Mr. Postman”
B. “My Ding-a-Ling”
C. “Fight the Power”
D. “School Day”
9. The hand-clapping at the beginning of the song “Please Mr. Postman” is known as the
B. shuffle groove.
10. In the song “Tonight” from the musical West Side Story, the composer distributed two basic melodies
among different characters to create a kind of _______, in which nothing disappears but new layers are
A. consonant counterpoint
B. dissonant form
C. additive form
D. layered presence
11. The musical movement that started in the mid-1960s on the West Coast was the _______ movement.
12. Notes that begin a phrase before a downbeat are known as pick-up notes or a/an
A. duck walk.
B. call and response.
C. shuffle groove.
13. The _______ is a xylophone-like instrument with tubular resonators under each bar.
B. suspended cymbal
14. Which of the following composers wrote the music for West Side Story?
A. Leonard Bernstein
B. Cole Porter
C. George M. Cohan
D. Jerome Kern
15. A modern-day retelling of Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet is carried out in the musical
A. West Side Story.
B. H.M.S. Pinafore.
C. The Mikado.
D. My Fair Lady.
16. _______ music is based on frequent repetition (with small variations) of a small musical idea.
17. The first African American to have a major opera performed by a major American opera company was
A. William Grant Still.
B. Robert Johnson.
C. Langston Hughes.
D. Scott Joplin.
18. In “Hoe Down,” Aaron Copeland creates variety through varying the
19. Which one of the following composers is best known for promoting aleatory music?
A. Franz Wozzek
B. Richard Strauss
C. John Cage
D. Béla Bartók
20. A repeated melodic and rhythmic figure in the lower register of the piano is typical of the Afro-Cuban
dance music known as