Penn Foster 007505RR THE TWENTIETH CENTURY PART 1
1. Jody says that atonal harmony establishes a harmonic center of gravity. Sean says that atonal harmony
doesn’t have a harmonic center of gravity. Who is correct?
A. Only Jody is correct.
B. Only Sean is correct.
C. Both Jody and Sean are correct.
D. Neither Jody nor Sean is correct.
2. Roland says that Ruth Crawford Seeger was a modernist composer. Clive says that she was a collector
and arranger of American folksongs. Who is correct?
A. Only Roland is correct.
B. Only Clive is correct.
C. Neither Roland nor Clive is correct.
D. Both Roland and Clive are correct.
3. The _______ were interested in the hypnotic quality of the repeated melodic fragments and interlocked
patterns created by the gamelan.
4. _______ notes are produced by lowering the third, fifth, or seventh steps of major scales.
5. The Rite of Spring was composed by
A. Arnold Schoenberg.
B. Heitor Villa-Lobos.
C. Igor Stravinsky.
D. Alban Berg.
6. _______ used themes from popular songs and hymns in his orchestral works.
A. Scott Joplin
B. Igor Stravinsky
C. Charles Ives
D. Duke Ellington
7. _______ is a singing technique that’s part speech and part song.
8. Bebop is a style of
9. Ragtime composers often made use of
10. Music that doesn’t center on a particular key is referred to as
11. Modernism, a movement that represented an abolishment of tradition and a quest for novelty, took
A. Classical period
B. Early twentieth century
C. Middle nineteenth century
D. Early twenty-first century
12. _______ music is written in two or more chords played simultaneously.
13. Expressionist music is generally thought of as
14. Debussy’s Voiles was inspired by a Javanese ensemble known as a
15. A _______ scale is based on five notes.
16. Which of the following composers sought to obtain a nonpercussive sound from the piano in his
17. The _______ style is an attempt to revive the approach used by composers in the latter half of the
D. New Baroque
18. Schoenberg’s 12-tone composition is based on a/an _______ scale.
19. You’ll find the “circle-of-fifths” chord progression used in which of the following types of music?
B. Big band jazz
20. Standard Song Form for popular hits of the 1920s and 1930s was