1. When setting your billing rates for your work with clients, which of these is not a consideration?
A. The profitability of your clients
B. Travel expenses to and from client sites
C. Your rent, taxes and utility costs
D. The economy of your service area
2. Under which of the following methods of charging would you probably work for less than your normal
A. Flat fee
B. Cost plus premium
C. Service contract
D. Hourly rate
3. What is the purpose of a holographic image on a box containing an application program?
A. It identifies it as the original packaging to help identify unlicensed copies.
B. It signifies that the program isn’t licensed.
C. It indicates that you may not make a backup copy.
D. It indicates the box contains a fully featured version of the program.
4. What should you do when a customer is angry and tells you of the problems that his inoperable PC has
caused his business?
A. Display your technical know-how to reassure him the problem will be fixed.
B. Empathize with him.
C. Be defensive.
D. Show indifference.
5. A longtime customer gives you a call to request service. Which of the following can help you prepare a
service strategy before making the service call?
A. Phone logs
B. Expense spreadsheets
C. Inventory lists
D. Troubleshooting Report Forms
6. A self-employed technician might enter into a service contract at a discounted hourly rate in order to
A. have the opportunity to practice skills.
B. lock in a guarantee of work.
C. build customer loyalty.
D. use up an inventory of parts.
7. Which of the following is not a relevant piece of information to collect when troubleshooting a computer
A. Determining whether the problem can be replicated
B. Number of users on the system
C. Recent hardware or software changes
D. Date when computer was delivered
8. Two PC repair students are discussing the items that would be found on a swap shelf. Student A says that a USB cable should be on the shelf. Student B says that a few common software programs should be on the shelf. Which of the following statements is correct?
A. Only Student B
D. Only Student A
9. One method to keep track of your financial records and taxes is through the use of a/an
A. spreadsheet program.
B. word processor.
C. accounting calculator.
10. After installing a new part in a customer’s PC, your charge for the part should be no more than the
A. wholesale price you paid for the part.
B. retail price of the part.
C. retail price plus a reasonable markup.
D. wholesale price plus taxes and shipping.
11. While working at a customer’s site, you realize that the customer could increase productivity by
connecting selected PCs to a network. Mentioning this fact to the customer shows your
A. technical ability.
C. pledge to stand behind your work.
D. respect for the customer.
12. A customer wants you to build a customized computer for him. After you’ve obtained the parts, where’s the best place to assemble the computer?
A. At your repair shop
B. At a computer-building seminar
C. At the particular desk or spot where the computer will be used
D. At any convenient location at the customer’s site
13. A program written to solve problems by applying existing knowledge stored in a database is known as a/an _______ system.
14. Observation is a good skill to develop that enhances your ability to
A. listen effectively.
C. show patience.
15. You’ve just completed a service call. Before leaving the customer’s site, you should
A. ask the customer for leads to help expand your business.
B. use this opportunity to sell the customer additional hardware or software.
C. wait until you’re sure that everything works properly.
D. remove unnecessary files from the customer’s hard drive as a courtesy.
16. After you’ve installed a computer at a client’s business, what should you do with the service documentation?
A. Store it with the shipping carton.
B. Take it back to your repair shop for reference.
C. Organize it and store it in an accessible place at the customer’s site.
D. Give it to the employee who will use the computer.
17. What are the two exams that make up the CompTIA A+ certification examination?
A. Core Hardware and Operating System Technologies
B. Diagnosis and Repair
C. Operating System and Application Software
D. Hardware and Software
18. When users purchase a software program, they
A. have a license to use the software.
B. can modify the program code.
C. may give a copy to a colleague.
D. own the program.
19. What name is used to describe the illegal action of a dealer who installs unlicensed software on a computer that he offers for sale?
A. False recovery
B. Hard-disk loading
C. Program processing
D. Unlawful origination
20. A+ certification is sponsored by
B. Software Information Industry Association.
C. PC Technicians