1. By the early 2000s, which country was Taiwan’s third-largest trading partner?
A. South Korea
C. United States
2. In China in the 1980s, commune-based agriculture was replaced by the _______ responsibility system.
3. The seat of the Japanese Emperors moved from Kyoto to Edo
A. immediately after Edo was renamed Tokyo.
B. under the Meiji Emperor.
C. when Shinto became Japan’s dominant religion.
D. during the rule of the Samurai.
4. Which of the following cities is located on the most densely populated island of Indonesia?
A. Kuala Lumpur
5. The earliest Chinese civilization along the lower valley of the Yellow River was based on the cultivation of
D. wheat and rice.
6. Which of the following statements is true regarding gender equality in Southeast Asia?
A. Mao Zedong declared that “Women hold up half the sky.”
B. South Korea is the only Southeast Asian country that supports absolute gender equality.
C. Traditional Confucian views no longer maintain the inferiority of women.
D. Japan’s nationalists support female succession to the Chrysanthemum Throne.
7. The rise of China’s naval power under Admiral Cheng-Ho occurred during the _______ dynasty.
8. Which of the following statements is true of Singapore?
A. Singapore is member of the Federation of Malaysia.
B. Singapore is a major manufacturer of computer hard drives.
C. Singapore’s government condemned U.S. military actions in Afghanistan.
D. Singapore finally became self-governing in 1965.
9. Distinguishing unique patterns of biodiversity in eastern and western areas of Southeast Asia, the Wallace Line is found between
A. Borneo and Sulawesi.
B. East Timor and New Guinea.
C. Borneo to the east and Sumatra and the Malay Peninsula to the west.
D. the South China Sea and the Philippine Sea
10. The visit of an influential nuclear physicist to a population symposium in 1979 led to
A. the election of Deng Xiaoping in China.
B. the one-child policy in China.
C. new nuclear-power safety measures in populated areas in China.
D. the two-child policy in China.
11. With respect to major rivers, the Mekong is to Vietnam as the Irrawady is to
12. Toyota’s remarkable growth as a multinational company is uniquely associated with which of the following?
C. Kaizen and jidoka
D. Kaizen and chaebols
13. Until the mid-1900s, most Chinese cities were
B. market and administrative centers.
C. very few in number.
D. small towns.
14. Which of the following statements is true of population and population density in Southeast Asia?
A. In the Koreas and Taiwan, population densities are found in eastern coastal areas.
B. Population policies caused the population in China to decline during the 1950s.
C. Around 70 percent of Japan’s population lives in the region between Tokyo and Osaka.
D. More than half the population of Mongolia lives in Ulan Bator.
15. The Demilitarized Zone between North and South Korea was established in
16. In terms of GNI PPP, excluding Singapore, the wealthiest nations of Southeast Asia are
A. Thailand and Malaysia.
B. Cambodia and Laos.
C. Indonesia and Vietnam.
D. Indonesia and the Philippines.
17. Which of the following mainland countries of Southeast Asia was never a European colony?
C. Burma (Myanmar)
18. _______ has the largest metropolitan economy in the world.
D. Hong Kong
19. From 800–1200, the Khmer and Mon peoples moved into the northern regions of
20. The Indonesian name for Borneo is
C. Irian Jaya.