- There are 35 cars backed up at the intersection because of an accident. Which sociological term best describes these 35 drivers?
A primary group
A secondary group
2. Which set of characteristics is most applicable to describing a secondary group?
Formal, impersonal, anonymous
Formal, intimate, face-to-face interaction
Impersonal, face-to-face interaction, a sense of belonging
Anonymous, intimate, a sense of identity
3. Cody is a member of the L.A. Crips. The other gangs in his territory are the Bloods and Satan’s Slaves. Cody feels very antagonistic towards the Bloods and the Slaves. For Cody, what type of group do these two rival gangs represent?
4. What was the initial conclusion drawn from the experiment known as the “small world phenomenon”?
Cliques are a basic aspect of society.
Society is unconsciously linked together by mutual acquaintances.
Small groups are powerful influences on career choices.
People have a deep need to be accepted by their peers.
5. Of the following characteristics, which one least applies to bureaucracies?
A specialized division of labor
Personal attention and individualism
Written communications and records
6. In bureaucracies, __________ refers to rules and procedures that defy all logic.
7. Becky has placed pictures of her two children, the family dog, and her summer vacation on the walls of her work cubicle. By doing so, what is Becky trying to accomplish?
She is trying to impress management by being family-oriented.
She is taking steps to resist alienation.
She is making an effort to conform to the dominant value system.
She is exploring the hidden curriculum of the corporate culture.
8. What name does the author use for cameras employed by supervisors to transmit facial expressions and other behavior of employees as they work in their cubicles?
Super snooper sentries
9. As group size increases it is less and less likely individuals will come forward to complete group tasks needing done unless specifically assigned to do so. What term describes this phenomenon of group dynamics?
The Peter principle
Diffusion of responsibility
10. A/An __________ leadership style will most likely result in a high degree of internal solidarity among employees.
11. Which sociological perspective is most aligned with the relativity of deviance?
12. Which concept of culture is credited with making social life possible and behavior predictable?
13. Which scientist would address the cause of deviance as being based on genetic predisposition and causes within the individual?
14. The term __________ refers to a subculture’s tendency to kill as a measure of their manhood.
subculture of violence
15. What four variables contribute to the extent of one’s social bond with society?
Attachment, commitment, involvement, belief
Frequency, duration, priority, intensity
Attachment, duration, priority, belief
Frequency, commitment, involvement, intensity
16. Which technique of neutralization is reflected by the comment “Who are you to talk?”
Denial of responsibility
Denial of victim
Condemn the condemner
Appeal to higher loyalty
17. What variable did William Chambliss conclude was the deciding difference between the labels received by the “Saints” and “Roughnecks”?
The race of the members of each group.
The age of the Saints compared to the age of the Roughnecks.
The difference in the social class of the Saints compared to the Roughnecks.
The intellectual status of each group.
18. What is the major difference between white collar crime and street crime?
White collar crime is an act committed in the course of a legitimate occupation, street crime is not.
Street crime is synonymous with victimless crime, white collar crime is synonymous with organized crime.
White collar crime and street crime are mutually exclusive, meaning no one ever commits both.
White collar crime is always a corporate act and street crime an individual act.
19. What are the two major techniques that society has for “anchoring” people to protect them from becoming prison inmates?
Race and social class
Marriage and education
Marriage and race
Education and social class
20. Who was the European sociologist who pointed out that deviance was inevitable and that it would exist even in a group of saints?