The following table contains calculations of several key ratios for Indianola Pharmaceutical Company, a maker of proprietary and prescription drugs. The company is publicly held and is considered a small-to medium-size pharmaceutical company. Approximately 80% of its sales have been in prescription drugs; the remaining 20% are in medical supplies normally found in a drugstore. The primary purpose of the auditor’s calculations is to identify potential risk areas for the upcoming audit. The auditor recognizes that some of the data may signal the need to gather other industry- or company-specific data.
A number of the company’s drugs are patented. Its number-one selling drug, Anecillin, which will come off of patent in two years, has accounted for approximately 20% of the company’s sales ‘during the past five years.
INDIANOLA PHARMACEUTICAL RATIO ANALYSIS
Ratio Current One Years Two Years Three Years Current Year Previous Previous Previous Industry
Current ratio —————————– 1.85 1.89 2.28 2.51 2.13
Quick ratio ——————————- 0.85 0.93 1.32 1.76 1.40
Times Interest earned——————- 1.30 1.45 5.89 6.3 4.50
Days’ sales in receivables————– 109 96 100 72 69
Inventory turnover———————- 2.40 2.21 3.96 5.31 4.33
Days’ sales in inventory—————- 152 165 92 69 84
Research & development as a
Percent of sales ————————– 1.3 1.4 1.94 2.03 4.26
Cost of goods sold as percent
Of sales———————————— 38.5 40.2 41.2 43.8 44.5
Debt/equity ratio————————- 4.85 4.88 1.25 1.13 1.25
Earnings per share———————– $1.12 $2.50 $4.32 $4.26 n/a
Sales/tangible assets——————— 0.68 0.64 0.89 0.87 0.99
Sales/total assets————————- 0.33 0.35 0.89 0.87 0.78
Sales growth over past year—- 3% 15% 2% 4% 6%
a. What major conclusions regarding financial reporting risk can be drawn from the information show in the table? Be specific in identifying specific account balances that have a high risk of misstatement. State how that risk analysis will be used in planning the audit. Be very specific in your answer. You should identify a minimum of four financial reporting risks that should be addressed during the audit and how they should be addressed.
b. What other critical background information might you want to obtain as part of the planning of the audit or would you gather during the conduct of the audit? Briefly indicate the probable sources of the information.
c. Based on the information, what major actions did the company take during the immediately preceding year? Explain.