Short Answer Questions
1. Discuss why the researcher must pay close attention to Treasury interpretations, even if there is a court case that is helpful to the taxpayer.
2. When should the researcher turn to the Treasury regulations for guidance? Can the researcher always count on the treasury regulations to help answer the research question? Why or why not?
3. How is it possible to have a regulation conflict with a Code section?
4. What steps must he researcher take to ensure the reliability of a regulation?
5. List four sources where you can access the full text of a treasury regulation. Compare the sources. What are their advantages and disadvantages?
6. How are the treasury regulations and revenue rulings different?
7. What are the central components of a revenue ruling?
8. Describe how to locate the revenue rulings that interpret a specific code section when you do not wish to use a reference service.