Genetics and Cells Worksheet
1. What criteria would you use to determine whether synesthesia is a disorder or a variation of normal sensation and perception?
2. Why do you think that synesthesia is more common today than it was 20 years ago?
3. Why might it be possible for infants to have synesthesia, but the ability is gradually lost?
4. Would you want to take a genetic test for synesthesia? Cite a reason for your answer.
5. Do you think that synesthesia should be regarded as a learning disability, an advantage, or neither?
Cells questions for research and discussion:
1. Historical references as well as current anecdotal reports suggest that under very unusual circumstances, males can breastfeed. The Talmud, a book of Jewish law, discusses a man whose wife died and who had no money to pay a wet nurse (a woman who breastfeeds another woman’s child). He was able to nourish the child with his own body. The writings of other religions report similar tales. In agriculture, male goats can receive hormonal treatments and make milk. Do you think that it is possible for a human male to breastfeed, and if so, what conditions must be provided to coax his body to produce and secrete milk?
2. Select one of the mammals whose milk composition is listed in Table 1, read about the animal’s characteristics and activities on the Internet, and hypothesize why the proportion of the milk components is consistent with the animal’s behavior.
12. Compare the roles of mitosis and apoptosis in remodeling Sheila’s breast from a fatty sac to an active milk gland.
The Fantastic Stuff Co. currently has debt with a market value of $400 million outstanding.
The debt consists of 10% annual coupon bonds which have a maturity of 10 years and are currently priced at $940 per bond. The par value of each bond is $1,000. The firm also has an issue of 3 million preferred shares outstanding with a market price of $15.00. The preferred shares pay an annual
dividend of $1.65. Fantastic also has 20 million shares of common stock outstanding with a price of $26.00 per share. The firm is expected to pay a $2.60 common dividend one year from today, and that dividend is expected to increase by 6% per year forever. Fantastic is subject to a 40% marginal tax rate.
a. What is the firm’s after tax cost of debt?
b. What is the firm’s cost of preferred stock?
c. What is the firm’s cost of common stock?
d. What is the firm’s weighted average cost of capital?
The course project provides you with an opportunity to choose one medical law or medical ethics issue of special interest and to study that issue at a deeper level for further understanding and application. This five to seven double-spaced APA paper must critically analyze the issues related to the selected topic, with the textbook, web resources, and professional journal articles (which may also be found online) being utilized to complete the project. Please be sure to cite all references using APA format to avoid plagiarism. The paper must be submitted in APA format.
In your Course Project, be sure to include:
1 Description of your selected issue
2 Discussion of how the issue impacts healthcare professionals and healthcare organizations
3 Impact of your selected issue on patients and families
4 Critical analysis of the issue, including at least one specific case example
5 Significance of the issue to the practice of healthcare administration
6 Recommendations for approaches to deal with the issue
Answers should between 200-350 words.
1.Racial profiling is frequently in the news and is a prime example of stereotyping in action. How does racial profiling relate to stereotyping? Explain.
2. How does Racial and Ethnic Groups define prejudice? Do you agree with this definition? Why or why not?
3. What does it mean to be a member of an oppressed or subordinate group?
4. Is it easy or difficult to identify when prejudice is occurring? Why?
5. Racial and Ethnic Groups suggests that prejudice is so prevalent that it could be considered inevitable. Do you agree or disagree?
6.How does mass media contribute to the perpetuation of stereotypes and prejudice in the United States? Give an example.