Allocate at least 1.5 hours in the field to support this field experience. This is a Block I Field Experience. In this block, your field experience must be completed before or after school, or another designated time when students are not present.
Observe, interview, and collaborate with an outside agency that supports K-12 public or private resource special education students and their families. In your discussion, select and address at least three parental challenges from the list below:
• Financial issues
• Limited opportunities for recreation and leisure
• Sibling issues
• Constant care and supervision of a child with a disability
• Increased potential for marital problems
• Logistical issues such as transportation
• Difficulty getting time away from job
• Frequent disability-related crises
• Health issues of family, other members
• Difficulties obtaining appropriate educational services
In 250-500 words, reflect upon your observations, interview, and collaboration. Discuss potential solutions, strategies, and resources that could help parents facing the challenges you selected. In addition, explain how you plan to apply your findings to your practice as a professional.
Read the following scenario:
Adam is a fifth-grader diagnosed with a learning disability who receives instruction for all core subjects in the resource room with the special education teacher. He resides with his elderly grandparents who have full custody of him, while his older sister who was born with severe complications from fetal alcohol syndrome resides in a facility where she receives around-the-clock care. Adam does not have any contact with his biological mother and never knew his biological father. His grandparents are the only caregivers he has ever known and they are overwhelmed and feel unprepared to adequately address Adam’s increased oppositional behaviors and lack of academic progress. They are reluctant to meet with any school personnel as they feel the school should take care of school matters while they take care of the home matters.
Based on the provided scenario, complete a chart utilizing the following:
1. Describe five items from the scenario affecting the level of parental involvement.
2. For every item in column 1, describe the ideal level of parental involvement.
3. Specify strategies and actions to be implemented to achieve the ideal level of parental involvement described in column 2.
4. Identify technologies to be implemented in connection with column 3.
In addition, submit a 250-500-word rationale that describes how the actions you propose in your chart support Adam’s physical and emotional well-being. Support your rationale with a minimum of 2 scholarly resources.
Research a community and school list of resources that address the needs of students with mild to moderate exceptionalities.
Select a nearby school and its district to help identify special education resources. Your list should include:
1. Ten community resources (provide short descriptions and links).
2. Ten school or district-based resources (provide short descriptions).
3. The exceptionalities/needs they address.
From your list, design a brochure, flyer, or newsletter with school staff in mind that includes the information you’ve researched.